Intact Insurance has upgraded their Sewer and Water Backup coverages to their new Enhanced Water Damage Package which provides more comprehensive protection for your property against water damage. New coverages are now available to protect your property and belongings from Overland Water and Ground Water.
The Enhanced Water Damage Package now offers the following coverages:
- Sewer/Water Backup coverage which covers loss or damage caused by the sudden and accidental backing up or escape of water or sewage within your dwelling or detached structures through a sewer or septic system on your premises, or a sump or drain located within your dwelling or additional building. This coverage now includes $1,000 toward the installation of preventative equipment after a sewer/water backup loss.
- Water & Sewer Line Coverage which provides coverage for repair or replacement of sewer line and water service lines caused by a leak, break, tear, rupture or collapse.
- Overland Water coverage which provides coverage for damage caused by flood exposure (river, lake, canal), sudden and accidental entrance of surface water, sewer backup concurrent with these losses, subject to exclusions.
- Ground Water coverage which provides coverage for damage caused by the sudden and accidental entrance of Ground Water through basement walls, foundations or floors, and from the rising of the water table.
According to Environment Canada, over the past 60 years it’s been getting warmer and wetter.
- Canadians now experience an additional 20 days of rain each year
Severe water events that used to happen every 40 years can now be expected to happen every six years
Not all insurance companies are offering Overland Water and Ground Water coverage at this time. We are expecting that it will be offered by more companies in the near future.
We have been advised that the availability of Overland Water and Ground Water coverage may affect eligibility for compensation from the Emergency Measures Organization through the Province of Manitoba.
Our Intact clients are being notified of the options available to them, and will be provided with coverage options, in order to tailor a policy that best fits their needs.
If you are interested in the availability of Overland Water and Ground Water coverage for your home, or just want to know more about it, please contact a member of Our Team.
As an insurance broker, we are looking out for the best protection for our clients. Not all insurance policies are created equal, and not all clients are interested in all coverages. That is why it is important to have an insurance broker on your side, who will listen to your specific needs and coverage concerns, tailor a policy best suited to your needs, and explain the coverage and exclusions of your policy.
All insurance policies have exclusions, and it is important to understand your policy wordings, and the specific details of exclusions and limitations of coverage. If you do not have a copy of your wordings, please contact our office.
For more tips on preventing water damage, visit Intact's Water Damage Checklist.